This recipe, which serves 6, makes an anything-but-typical companion to red wine blends that are based on the varieties of Bordeaux. If you can’t find certain ingredients at your supermarket, track down a Korean market.
Marinated Meat Ingredients
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup Korean rice wine or mirin
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbl. sugar
- 2 tbl. sesame salt
- 3 tbl. chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tbl. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small Asian pear, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tbl. Asian sesame oil
- 2 tsp. coarsely ground Korean red chile
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4-lbs. meaty flanken-style short ribs
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce separated into leaves
- Sesame salt
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1. Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and puree; transfer to a bowl.
2. Add the ribs and let marinate at room temperature for at least 3 hours, or refrigerate overnight.
3. Light a grill or preheat the broiler. Remove the ribs from the marinade and shake off any excess. Grill or broil the ribs until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
4. Serve the short ribs with the accompaniments, and let diners wrap their own meat.