This recipe, which matches beautifully with Chardonnay or Pinot Noir, makes 4 servings.
- 1-1/2 T canola oil
- 2 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch croutons (appx. 1 cup)
- 4 fresh salmon fillet steaks (appx. 6-7 ounces each)
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 4 T of 1/4-inch pieces lemon flesh
- 2 T capers, drained
- 2 T chives, minced
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 T red wine vinegar
1. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil until hot, but not smoking. Add croutons and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until nicely browned. Transfer croutons to bowl and set aside.
2. Sprinkle salmon fillets on both sides with salt and pepper, then place skin side down in hot skillet. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes over medium to high heat, then cover and cook for 2 additional minutes.
3. Place fillets skin side up on a warm platter, and sprinkle with croutons, lemon pieces, capers and chives.
4. Discard any fat remaining in skillet, then add butter and cook over medium heat until it’s light brown. Add vinegar, shaking the pan to mix it in. Pour mixture over the salmon fillets, and serve immediately.