A Tasty Dish to Serve With Red Wine
Courtesy of Ferrari-Carano Vineyards, this recipe serves 4 and matches beautifully with most red wines.
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup white wine
2 T unsalted butter
1 tsp. olive oil
1/3 cup shallots, minced
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup radicchio leaves, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup cream
4 oz. imported Gorgonzola cheese, broken into small chunks
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. In a saucepan, put chicken broth and 1/2 cup of wine. Heat to simmer and keep warm.
2. In a separate large, heavy saucepan, heat butter and oil, add shallots, and saute until soft. Add rice to pan and coat grains evenly with oil. Add garlic and remaining wine, and stir until liquid is completely absorbed by rice.
3. Add radicchio and begin to add the simmering broth, a ladle at a time. Stir frequently, but gently.
4. After each absorption of the liquid, add another ladle until the broth is all used. (This will take about 20 minutes.)
5. Add cream and stir to prevent sticking. The risotto should be a nice creamy consistency, not runny or pasty.
6. Add Gorgonzola cheese and stir in. Pour the risotto onto a prepared platter and garnish with walnuts and parsley, and drizzle a little bit of balsamic vinegar on top, if desired. Sprinkle with Parmesan, and serve immediately.