This recipe serves 4, and matches beautifully with off-dry white wines such as Muscat Canelli.
3 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
1 orange (use the juice and the orange peel zested)
3/4 cup off-dry white wine
3 tbsp. white raisins
1/3 slivered almonds
1. Place chicken in a large bowl and season with cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper.
2. In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches and cook, turning until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Add onion to pan. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
4. Return chicken to pan. Add orange juice, orange zest, wine and raisins. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until chicken is tender.
5. Remove cover and continue cooking until juice is reduced and slightly thickened. Garnish with almonds, and serve.