3/4-oz. dried porcini mushrooms
2 cups boiling water
4 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups finely minced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dry white wine, room temperature
1 medium-size (8-oz.) head radicchio, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
3/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano or Parmesan cheese
1. Place mushrooms in medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover with a plate and let stand 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms, squeezing out and saving all the water. Remove stems, and cut mushrooms into thin strips.
2. Combine mushroom water and broth in medium-large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in 4-quart casserole over medium heat. Add onion and saute 1 to 2 minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms, garlic, rice and salt, and stir 1 minute. Pour in wine and cook until it is all absorbed.
4. Stir in radicchio, then start to add simmering broth 1/2-cup at a time, letting each addition be completely absorbed before adding another 1/2-cup. Reserve 1/4-cup broth to be added at end. (Note: It takes about 18 minutes to reach the al dente stage.) Stir in remaining 1/4-cup of broth and cheese.
5. Combine well and serve immediately.