This recipe from the Hanover Inn in
New Hampshire, serves two, and matches beautifully with Chardonnay.
– 2 Rainbow, Brook or Brown trout, 12- to 16-oz. each
– 2 cups oatmeal
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
– 1 lemon, juiced
– 1 cup Chardonnay
– 1 stick butter
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Dash Lea & Perrens Worcestershire Sauce
– 1/2 cup julienne leeks or scallions
1. Clean and eviscerate trout, and dry on clean towel. (Removal of head is optional.)
2. Salt and pepper cavity of fish and skin. Let stand.
3. Place 1/2 cup oatmeal in blender and grind to a fine flour. Add whole oaks back to flour in a bowl and mix. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Coat fish with buttermilk. Remove excess milk and roll in oat flour.
5. Heat a thick-bottom skillet on medium heat. Add 1/2 stick of butter. Brown on both sides to a medium to dark brown. Remove fish to a warm platter.
6. Dump out excess fat. Add fresh butter and brown lightly. Add leeks or scallions and saute briefly. Deglaze with wine and reduce slightly. Add lemon to taste. Pour over fish or serve on side.