You don’t have to wait until Christmas to enjoy chestnuts. Try this recipe with Zinfandel or Primitivo for a special dessert. It makes 10 to 12 servings, depending on who’s wielding the knife.
* 4 cups chestnut flour
* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* Pinch of salt
* 2 cups cold water
* 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* Sprig of rosemary
* 1/2 cup pine nuts
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 390 degrees. Sift chestnut flour into a bowl, and add sugar and salt. Gradually add water, taking care not to form lumps, to make a creamy liquid.
2. Brush a 9-by-13 cake pan with oil, and pour in batter. The pan should be high enough so the mix is about 1/2 inch deep. Sprinkle the surface with rosemary leaves, pine nuts, raisins and walnuts, and drizzle on a touch of olive oil.
3. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.