We decided to tap the “Born to Grill” cookbook for this amazingly flavorful recipe for the summer. It serves 4.
MAYTAG BLEU T-BONE STEAKS
* Four 1- to 1 1/4-lb. T-bone steaks, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick, USDA Choice grade or better
* Kosher salt or other coarse salt
* 3 ounces Maytag bleu cheese or other bleu cheese, crumbled, at room temperature
SWEET ONION TOPPING INGREDIENTS
* 2 large sweet onions
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 3 tablespoons dry red wine
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or other coarse salt
1. Sprinkle the steaks lightly with salt. Cover, and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the onions in half from end to end. Slice each half into 3/4-inch to 1-inch wedges, cutting through the root end so that the wedges hold together.
2. Melt the butter with the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions to the skillet and gently turn them over in the butter to coat all sides. Cover the skillet and let the onions cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re crisp-tender with some brown edges. Uncover the onions and add the wine and salt.
3. Raise the heat to medium-high and continue cooking until the onions color lightly and the excess liquid evaporates, frequently scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Keep the onions warm.
4. Grill the steaks to your liking, transfer to plates, scatter bleu cheese over each, top with the warm onions and serve.