This dish, the centerpiece of a sit-down dinner, matches beautifully with Zinfandel or other fruity red wines.
* 1/2 cup Zinfandel
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 2 1/2-lb. London broil, about 1 1/2-inches thick
Marinade Preparation: Combine all ingredients, and cover the steak with the mixture. Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
* 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced (stems discarded)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 slice bacon, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
* 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
* 1 tablespoon minced orange zest
* 1/4 cup diced tomato
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1 tablespoon minced serrano chilies
* Salt and pepper to taste
Salsa Preparation: Cook bacon over medium heat in olive oil until brown. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Remove from heat and cool. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
1. Grill steak over medium-hot coals for about 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Let rest for 10 minutes.
2. Thinly slice steak against the grain and on the bias. Arrange on warm platter and top with salsa.