The following recipe, which serves 4, transforms a classic white wine dish — chicken — into a perfect partner for red wines such as Merlot and Syrah.
The secret? The generous use of garlic.
GARLIC GRILLED CHICKEN
* 4 boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 cup salsa or picante sauce
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
* 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
* 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1. Place each breast between sheets of plastic wrap or food storage bags and pound gently with flat side of meat mallet until about 1/4-inch thick.
2. Cut each flattened chicken breast into strips about 1-inch in width. Place chicken strips in a glass baking dish or nonreactive shallow container.
3. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and chill chicken in marinade for 1 to 2 hours.
4. Thread chicken onto metal skewers or well-soaked wooden skewers. Grill over hot coals for 6 to 8 minutes, turning a few times and basting with remaining marinade.
5. Serve with additional salsa, if desired.