Many of us don’t have room in our homes for big, temperature-controlled wine cabinets.
Particularly among apartment or condo dwellers – or families that are downsizing their homes as their kids go off to college or get married – space can be at a premium.
During the past year, we received countless emails and phone calls from members regarding what kind of wines they should have on hand when they don’t have a great deal of space for storage.
So, the members of the Vinesse tasting panel put their heads together and came up with a list of 10 “go-to wines” – wines to fill the slots in that 10-bottle, tabletop wine holder. Here is their list of the 10 types of wine every wine lover should have on hand – whether they’re cramped for space or if space is unlimited…
1. CHARDONNAY. America’s favorite white wine. The variety with which almost any guest would be familiar. The perfect wine to sip while catching up with friends.
2. SAUVIGNON BLANC. The wine to serve with shrimp, crab cakes, scallops or other seafood specialties. Bright and refreshing.
3. CHENIN BLANC. A flavorful and versatile food wine – great with fish, chicken or salads. Before Chardonnay took the crown, it was the white wine king of California.
4. GEWURZTRAMINER or RIESLING. If you enjoy Chinese or Thai take-out, either of these varieties will match beautifully. Also great with Tex-Mex. Serve well chilled to help counterbalance the spiciness of the food.
5. CABERNET SAUVIGNON. The king of red wines. Great for special occasion toasting, or to accompany a thick, juicy steak.
6. MERLOT. The “mellow” red. Easy drinking and delicious.
7. PINOT NOIR. Grilling salmon? Burgers? This is the wine to uncork.
8. ZINFANDEL. The perfect pizza wine. And we mean that in a good way.
9. CHAMPAGNE/SPARKLING WINE. Even people who think they don’t like wine will drink a glass of bubbly on occasion.
10. DESSERT WINE. For the guest with a sweet tooth, or for an after-dinner treat, have a sweet variety such as Muscat Canelli on hand.