Here’s a flavorful side dish to serve with your Thanksgiving dinner — as if you needed another one! This recipe makes 8 servings.
TOASTED ONION MASHED POTATOES
* 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into eighths (appx. 7 cups)
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick, divided)
* 3 cups coarsely chopped onions
* 1/4 cup 1 percent milk, warmed
* 3/4 cup light sour cream
* Salt and pepper
1. Place potatoes in 4.5-quart saucepan. Cover with cold water and add 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and boil potatoes until fork-tender (15 to 18 minutes) then drain.
2. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are light brown, then set aside.
3. Place cooked hot potatoes in large mixer bowl. Mash slightly with fork. Beat at medium speed, adding remaining butter 1 tablespoon at a time until mixed (about a minute). Continue beating, gradually adding browned onions, milk and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Beat until well mixed, but do not overbeat.
4. Serve immediately.