If you’re looking for a change from turkey or ham this holiday season, try this easy-to-prepare dish that matches well with both white and red wines. It serves 6.
Tuscan-Style Roasted Game Hens
* 1 onion, diced
* 3 stalks celery, diced
* 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
* 6 Rock Cornish game hens
* 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
* 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
* 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
* 2 teaspoons kosher salt
* 6 thin slices pancetta
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine the onion, celery and carrots in the bottom of a roasting pan. Set the hens on top of the vegetables, and drizzle with the olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, rosemary, sage, black pepper and salt. Rub the herb mixture over the hens until well coated. Lay a piece of pancetta over the breast of each hen, and secure each piece with 2 toothpicks.
3. Roast the hen for 15 minutes. Decrease the temperature to 350 degrees, and continue roasting until the hens reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees, about 45 minutes. Let sit at room temperature for 3 to 4 minutes before serving. Serve warm.