From Executive Chef Linda Kittler of Sonoma County’s Valley of the Moon Winery comes this delicious recipe that pairs perfectly with Syrah/Shiraz, as well as various red blends. It serves 10.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 yellow onion, minced
* 6 garlic cloves, roasted until just tender
* 1 medium butternut squash
* 2 tablespoons rosemary
* 2 tablespoons oregano
* 2 tablespoons thyme
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 2 cups beef stock
* 1/2 cup Madeira
* 1 cup cream
1. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Mix together rosemary, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and oil, and rub on the cut sides of the squashes.
2. Put 3 of the garlic cloves in each seed cavity and rub with the herb mixture. Place in a 350-degree oven for appoximately 1 hour, or when easily pierced with a fork.
3. Scoop out the meat, discard the skin and rough strings, and puree the squash, herbs and garlic.
4. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, and cook the onion until translucent. Add the stocks and the squash-garlic mixture, and bring to a simmer. Take off the heat and add the Madeira. Serve hot.