The sweetness of the onions makes this dish a great match for an oak-aged Chardonnay. It also pairs nicely with Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
SCALLOPS WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
* 5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
* 3 large garlic cloves, minced
* 2 large onions, thinly sliced
* 1/3 cup premium sake
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1 1/3 lbs. large scallops
* 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
* 3 tablespoons fine bread crumbs
* 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in medium frying pan and saute garlic and onions over low heat until golden brown, stirring often (about 40 minutes).
2. Add sake, increase heat to medium, and cook until sake is almost evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer onions into 4 individual shells or ramekins. Place scallops in a bowl. Sprinkle sherry wine vinegar over scallops and marinate 30 minutes. Place scallops on top of onions. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, remaining olive oil and parsley.
4. Just before serving, place scallops under preheated broiler for 4 to 5 minutes, or until scallops are opaque and crumbs are golden.