This recipe is ideal for the chilly evenings of winter, and matches beautifully with Cabernet Sauvignon or red Bordeaux. It makes 12 servings.
* 1 cup water
* 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into halves
* 1/2 cup pitted prunes, cut into halves
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 4- to 5-pound beef arm, blade or cross-rib pot roast
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
* 1/2 cup Zinfandel or other dry red wine
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 can (6 ounces) pitted olives, drained
* 2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 5 ounces)
Pour water over apricots and prunes; reserve.
Mix salt, ginger and pepper; rub over roast.
Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch oven. Cook beef in hot oil until brown on all sides; drain.
Add onion, wine and garlic. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover tightly and simmer on top of range or in 325-degree oven for 2 hours.
Add apricots and prunes, olives and mushrooms. Cover and cook until beef is tender, about 1 hour longer.