This dish is delicious, filling, and has only 175 calories per serving. The lemon zest makes it a wonderful partner to Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay. This recipe yields 6 servings.
BARLEY-BUTTERNUT SQUASH PILAF
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 small butternut squash, peeled, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
* 1 yellow onion, chopped
* 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 cup pearled barley
* 1 14-oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add squash, onion and bell pepper. Cook 3 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add barley. Cook, stirring often, until toasted slightly, about 3 minutes.
3. Add broth, water, sage, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Cover, and heat to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until barley is just tender, about 35 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon zest.