This dish pairs beautifully with Syrah (a.k.a. Shiraz), as well as Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, and red blends. This recipe makes 4 servings.
BEEF RIB-EYE WITH SWEET ONION TOPPING
* 2 large beef rib-eye steaks, trimmed
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 large sweet onion, halved, thinly sliced
* 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, chopped
1. Season steaks on both sides with half of the salt and half of the pepper. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
3. Add tarragon and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining salt and pepper, and transfer to small serving bowl.
5. Heat skillet over high heat, and add steaks. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn, and again cook until browned, also about 3 minutes.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes for medium.
7. Transfer steaks to cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes. Cut steaks in half, or slice if desired. Serve with reserved onion topping.