PASTA WITH SCALLOP AND WINE SAUCE
A light dish for a lazy summer meal, this recipe makes 4 servings and matches beautifully with Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay or white blends.
* 12 ounces fresh or frozen scallops
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
* 1 tablespoon cold water
* 2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
* 6 ounces hot cooked spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1. Thaw scallops (if frozen). Halve any large scallops. In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in butter or margarine until tender but not brown. Stir in wine, basil, salt and oregano. Bring to boiling; add scallops. Return to boiling.
2. Meanwhile, stir together water and cornstarch. Stir cornstarch mixture into boiling scallop mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Scallops should be opaque. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
3. Toss hot cooked spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine with scallop mixture, Parmesan cheese and parsley.