When you’re serving a thick, juicy steak and drinking a big, bold red wine, this dish makes a wonderful companion.
It was made famous by The Gables restaurant in Corvallis, Ore., and this recipe makes 8 servings.
GABLES BLUE CHEESE POTATOES
* 2 1/2-lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
* 6-oz. blue cheese
* 1/2 to 12 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
* 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Place quartered potatoes in a large saucepan and barely cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain well.
2. Place cooked potatoes in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork. Add blue cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, butter, green onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Whip with an electric mixer until smooth, adding the remaining sour cream as necessary. Keep warm until served.