(SAVORY BREAD SALAD)
Warmer weather means lighter fare, and this satisfying salad matches beautifully with Sauvignon Blanc. It serves 6.
* 4 cups 1-inch bread cubes cut from foccaccia or Italian bread
* 1 cup lemon-herb vinaigrette (see below)
* 1 cup tomatoes (yellow and orange varieties), diced
* 1 cup cucumbers (peeled and seeded), diced
* 3 Tbs. red onions, diced
* 2 Tbs. fresh basil, slivered
* 6 large radicchio leaves
* 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato oil
1. Toss the bread cubes with half the vinaigrette and let stand about 30 minutes.
2. Add the remaining ingredients (except the radicchio and dried tomato oil) and the rest of the vinaigrette and quickly toss together.
3. Serve a spoonful of salad on a radicchio leaf, and drizzle with dried tomato oil.
Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette Ingredients
* 1/4 cup fruity olive oil
* 2/3 cup mild olive oil
* 3 Tbs. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
* 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
* 1 tsp. garlic, finely minced
* 2 Tbs. chopped herbs, such as lemon thyme, basil, chervil, parsley, salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Whisk together all ingredients thoroughly.