With almost any type of salad, we suggest Sauvignon Blanc as a well-matched wine.
But because of the cranberry flavor featured in this recipe, you may want to try a wine that includes cranberry among its aromas and flavors. We tried it with a lighter-bodied Pinot Noir, and it turned out to be an intriguing and enticing combination.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
GREEN SALAD WITH CRANBERRY VINAIGRETTE
* 1 cup sliced almonds
* 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
* 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
* 1 lb. mixed salad greens
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in oven for 5 minutes, or until nuts begin to brown.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine the vinegar, oil, cranberries, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and water. Process until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, toss the almonds, onion, blue cheese and greens with the vinegar mixture until evenly coated.