Summer may be waning, but the grilling season continues.
Petite Sirah, Zinfandel or a bold red blend would match nicely with this dish, which makes a wonderful starter course. This recipe makes enough to fill a party pass-around platter.
GRILLED FIGS WITH GORGONZOLA
* 6 to 8 large ripe figs
* Small wedge of Gorgonzola cheese, cut into cubes
* Extra virgin olive oil
* Aged balsamic vinegar
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Trim fig tops and cut each open half-way down the middle. (Note: Do not cut into pieces.)
2. Add olive oil, salt and pepper to cut figs.
3. Grill on heated outdoor barbecue, 3-4 minutes for each side over medium heat.
4. Remove figs from grill and stuff with pieces of cheese. (Note: The cheese will begin to soften and melt.)
5. Arrange figs on a serving dish and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
6. Serve warm with crackers.