Sauvignon Blanc is among the most flavorful and refreshing wines on Earth.
But the characteristics that make it unique — its relatively high acid level, its “grassy” impression in the nose, its mild herbal flavors in the mouth — also render it a real challenge to pair with food.
But we’ve found a recipe that works beautifully, primarily because of one ingredient: basil.
The recipe will serve 2 to 4 people, depending on your appetites… and your willingness to share.
CITRUS ROASTED CHICKEN WITH BASIL CREAM
* 1 whole roasting or frying chicken
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Juice and zest of one 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange
* 1 tablespoon garlic
* 1 stick butter, softened
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Rinse and dry chicken, and prepare for roasting.
3. Mix butter, juices, zests, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Brush or rub over entire chicken.
4. Roast in oven until temperature is 165 degrees internally. Remove from oven, move chicken to a cutting board, and let rest.
5. Strain pan juices into small heavy-bottom sauce pan. Bring juices to a boil and reduce by one-half.
6. Pour cream into sauce pan and add fresh basil. Bring to a boil and reduce until sauce coats the back of a spoon.
7. Check seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper, if needed.
8. Divide chicken into desired portions and serve with basil cream… and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.