Try this recipe, which serves 4, with any Chardonnay exhibiting apple and/or pear flavors.
INSALATA DI RADICCHIO Y PERE
* 1 head Treviso radicchio
* 2 heads Belgian endive
* 1/4-lb. baby arugula
* 1 d’Anjou pear
* 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 12 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Cut the radicchio and endive close to the root end, being careful to keep them as a whole leaf. Place the leaves, tips out like a flower, on chilled salad plates, alternating between the two.
2. Mix lemon juice and olive oil in a squeeze bottle and shake vigorously to obtain a temporary emulsification. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt and half as much pepper over the leaves, then lightly drizzle the dressing. Mix to coat the leaves.
3. Dress the arugula in a separate bowl and place in the center of the salad plates. Slice the pear in half, core it, then slice it into 1/8-inch wedges, and place in a bowl. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt and half as much pepper over the pear, then a light drizzle of dressing, and toss to coat.
4. Position the wedges into each of the radicchio and endive leaf arrangements to complete the arrangement on each plate.