Don’t let the name of the dish fool you. This recipe will bring a smile to your face, and pairs perfectly with Sauvignon Blanc or Gewurztraminer. It makes 6 appetizer-sized portions.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 shallots, thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
* 1/2 cup Granny Smith apple, chopped
* 1/2 cup zucchini, chopped
* 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
* 1/2 lb. crab meat, drained
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
* 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
* 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
* 2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
* 1 clove garlic, chopped
* Pinch cayenne pepper
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed and separated into spears
1. For salad, heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and ginger, and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add apple, zucchini, red and green peppers and carrot, and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
2. Mix crab meat, mayonnaise, chives and sauteed vegetables in large bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. For sauce, combine tomatoes, cilantro, vinegar, garlic and cayenne in blender, and puree until almost smooth. Gradually add oil and blend until sauce is thick. Transfer to medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange endive spears on large platter, tips toward platter edge. Spoon crab salad into center of platter. Drizzle sauce over endive. Garnish salad with chives and serve.