This recipe, which makes 4 servings, matches beautifully with Zinfandel – red, that is.
* 1 lb. thinly sliced veal
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 3 large tomatoes, sliced
* 1 large clove garlic, minced
* 15 large basil leaves, roughly torn
* 2 tablespoons capers, drained
* 20 pitted Kalamata olives, halved
* 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced for layering
* 4 oz. aged provolone, shredded (about 1 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat bottom and sides of 7-by-11-inch casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Rub veal with salt and pepper to taste, then layer half of the meat in bottom of casserole. Add a layer of sliced tomatoes, then sprinkle with half the garlic, half the basil, half the capers and half the olives. Cover with a layer of half the mozzarella, filling in cracks with half the provolone. Repeat layers, using remaining ingredients.
3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully pour off most of liquid formed from the tomatoes. Return to oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling and cheese is nicely browned. Pour off remaining liquid and let casserole rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.