One of America’s great natural treasures is Yosemite National Park, some 310 miles from Los Angeles and 214 miles from San Francisco.
If you’ve never been, you have to go. >From its shear granite cliffs to its glacier-carved valleys, and from its majestic waterfalls to ancient sequoia groves, the Yosemite Valley is a place of beautiful inspiration.
Yosemite sits within Mariposa County, and here’s a tasty tidbit you may not have known: Mariposa is home to five wineries that craft some very good wines.
One of the five – Chappell Vineyard & Winery – keeps regular hours for tasting. It’s located in downtown Mariposa, and is open Tuesday through Sunday from 5 to 9 p.m.
The others are available for tasting by appointment, and you could easily plan a weekend around Mariposa winery visits.
Mariposa offers numerous lodging options, including eight bed-and-breakfast inns:
* The Ashworth House – 209-966-5504
* Highland House Bed & Breakfast – 209-966-3737
* Inn The Country – 209-966-5581
* Little Valley Inn on the Creek – 209-742-6204
* Mariposa Hotel Inn – 209-966-7500
* Meadow Creek Ranch Bed & Breakfast – 800-853-2037
* Poppy Hill Bed & Breakfast – 209-742-6273
* The Inn at Mariposa – 866-888-5496
As we mentioned, there’s no need for an appointment to taste wines at Chappell Vineyard & Winery. However, you may want to keep its phone number handy to verify operating hours before traveling: 209-742-4500.
Here are contact numbers for the other Mariposa wineries, which do require appointments:
* Butterfly Creek Winery – 209-966-2097
* Mount Bullion Vineyard – 209-377-8450
* Silver Fox Vineyard – 209-966-4800
* Villa Spalla Vineyard & Winery – 209-966-8414