We normally recommend Chardonnay or some other white wine to accompany pork chops. But this pork dish is tailor-made for Cabernet Sauvigon.
That’s right – the most noble of all red wines.
MOLASSES-INFUSED PORK BELLY
* 2 lbs. fresh pork belly (deboned)
* 3 cups water
* 1/2 cup salt
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup honey
* 3 teaspoons curing salt
* 2 cups ice
* 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
* 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
* 1/2 tablespoon green peppercorns
1. Stir together all ingredients except pork belly, honey, molasses, ice and peppers until dissolved. Slowly incorporate honey and molasses until dissolved. Add ice and stir.
2. While solution is chilling, pat dry pork belly and cut 5-6 slits into meat. When mixture is cold, add and submerge meat. Cover and chill for 2-3 days.
3. Grind peppers together.
4. After 2-3 days, remove meat, pat dry and rub with pepper mixture.
5. Grill and smoke bacon.