Not planning a trip to Burgundy this year? Then enjoy a taste of that wonderful region of France at home with this popular pre-meal snack, which matches beautifully with red Burgundy wine – or American Pinot Noir. This recipe makes 10-12 servings.
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
* 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
* 6 large eggs
* 1 cup grated (packed) Gruyere cheese
* 1/2 cup (packed) high-quality Parmesan cheese
* 1 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
* 1 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Place one rack in top third and a second rack in bottom third of oven, and preheat to 400 degrees. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper, lightly greased with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium heat, bring water, butter and salt to a simmer, stirring until butter melts. Add flour, and stir rapidly with a wooden spoon until mixture is a smooth, thick paste with no lumps. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool.
3. Using a hand-held mixer, beat in one egg at a time until all are incorporated. Stir in cheese and pepper.
4. Bake until dough is puffed and looks dry and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Fifteen minutes into the baking period, reverse the positions of the baking pans in the oven.