Paprika is among the dominant flavors of this dish from Austria, and because of that spice element, complementary wines would include Zinfandel and Barbera. This recipe makes 10-12 servings, and is best enjoyed with tender egg noodles.
* 2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat
* 2 lbs. onions, diced (about 7 medium onions)
* 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 tbsp. paprika
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 tsp. ground marjoram
* 1/2 tsp. ground caraway
* 3 1/2 cups beef stalk
1. Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Brown meat in oil in batches. Remove to bowl and set aside.
2. Saute onions and garlic until limp. Add vinegar, stirring to deglaze pan. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until very tender, gradually adding beef stock (about 3-4 hours).
3. Remove bay leaf and serve.