The Yamhill Valley is just minutes from Portland, but years away from the hustle and bustle of that Pacific Northwest city – particularly if you choose to stay in one of the valley’s numerous bed-and-breakfast inns.
With dozens of wineries and numerous gourmet restaurants nearby, the valley is a wine lover’s paradise.
Here are some of the B&Bs to consider when planning a Yamhill Valley getaway…
* Angels Nest Inn. Nestled among giant oaks and well-tended vineyards, this inn offers majestic views of the valley, lake and Belgian horse-inhabited pastures below. Because the views change from dawn to dusk, you may not want to leave.
* A’ Tuscan Estate. This 1928 Colonial estate has been remodeled with a European flair, including hardwood floors, a fireplace and private baths. A Bocce/Petanque court is provided, presumably to help work off the wonderful gourmet breakfast.
* Avellan Inn. This converted farmhouse is surrounded by 12 acres of woods and a working hazelnut orchard. It’s a bird-watcher’s paradise, and the multi-course breakfasts feature local seasonal products; special diets also can be accommodated.
* Baker Street Inn. This 1914 Craftsman-style inn features rooms with air conditioning and private baths. A lovely two-bedroom cottage also is available, and guests enjoy a multi-course, farm-fresh breakfast.
* Black Walnut Inn. Surrounded by vineyards, orchards and forest land, this luxurious inn evokes Tuscan villas of old. Inside, antiques, Old World details and the works of local artisans provide an elegant atmosphere.
* Brookside Inn. This secluded retreat sits on 22 shaded acres with gardens, waterfalls and meadows. The daily breakfast reflects the diversity and quality of the ingredients of the region, making for a memorable culinary experience.
* Dream Giver’s Inn. Situated on 10 acres overlooking vineyards, this inn is decorated with Pacific Northwest flair, including a large stone fireplace that greets guests upon their arrival. A full breakfast is included, along with packaged snacks and assorted beverages.
* Dundee Manor. Luxury abounds on this four-and-a-half-acre property that’s surrounded by vineyards. Gourmet meals are prepared and served alfresco or in the European dining room that’s filled with antiques from four continents.
* Hopewell Bed & Breakfast. This property has two private cottages, each with a private deck, barbecue and spa. Breakfast is served at the guests’ leisure either in their room or on the deck. And if Mother Nature cooperates, the sunsets can be glorious.
* Kelty Estate. This historic home in the heart of wine country boasts incredible food, beautiful gardens and immaculate accommodations. Wine and cheese is served upon arrival, and limo service and winery tours are available.
* Lobenhaus Bed & Breakfast & Vineyard. This unique tri-level lodge-style B&B is nestled in a peaceful wooded setting. Each guest room has a private bath, along with access to a deck that overlooks a spring-fed pond.
* Mattey House. The 1892 Victorian is a place for romance and relaxation. The adjacent vineyard can be viewed through the original stained glass windows, and visitors enjoy sipping a glass of wine on the porch in the late afternoon.
* Steiger Haus. An architecturally delightful, classic inn with old European country character and a lovely wooded garden setting. It’s located within walking distance of McMinnville’s downtown shops and restaurants.
* University House. If it’s privacy that you seek, this beautifully appointed B&B is the answer as it’s available to only one party per night, and the owners live next door.
Amenities include antiques, large fireplace, secluded hot tub and customized breakfast.
* Wine Country Farm. This historic French-style house sits on 13 acres with a fantastic view of the Willamette Valley. Guests can ride horseback or take a buggy through the vineyards. Three rooms have fireplaces, and a wonderful breakfast is served.
* Yamhill Vineyards. This winery has a two-room inn, enabling guests to totally immerse themselves in the winemaking experience. As part of the gourmet breakfast, grape juice from the vineyard is served.
Angels Nest Inn, Newberg, Ore.; 503-538-7876
A’ Tuscan Estate, McMinnville, Ore.; 503-434-9016
Avellan Inn, Newberg, Ore.; 503-537-9161
Baker Street Inn, McMinnville, Ore.; 503-472-5575
Black Walnut Inn, Dundee, Ore.; 503-538-8663
Brookside Inn, Carlton, Ore.; 503-852-4433
Dream Giver’s Inn, Newberg, Ore.; 503-625-1476
Dundee Manor, Dundee, Ore.; 503-554-1945
Hopewell B&B, Salem, Ore.; 503-868-7848
Kelty Estate, Lafayette, Ore.; 503-864-3740
Lobenhaus B&B & Vineyard, Carlton, Ore.; 503-864-9173
Mattey House, McMinnville, Ore.; 503-434-5058
Steiger Haus, McMinnville, Ore.; 503-472-0821
University House, Newberg, Ore.; 503-538-8438
Wine Country Farm, Dayton, Ore.; 503-864-3446
Yamhill Vineyards, Yamhill, Ore.; 503-662-3840