The Casa Nuestra winery makes one of California’s best bottlings of Chenin Blanc, and recommends serving that variety with this recipe, which makes 4 servings.
NAPA CRAB CAKES
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 1 cup Japanese seasoned bread crumbs
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* Half the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon
* 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
* 1 shallot, minced
* 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
* 1/4 bell pepper, finely chopped
* Tabasco sauce, to taste
* 4 oz. sweet butter
* 1 lb. fresh lump crabmeat, pressed and drained
* Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
1. Whisk all wet ingredients, including eggs, to combine. Add lightly sauteed chopped and minced vegetables, with Old Bay seasoning. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
2. Add crushed bread crumbs, then carefully fold in crabmeat.
3. Form 4 equally sized cakes. (Cakes should be loose, but not falling apart. Firmness can be adjusted with additional bread crumbs, if desired.)
4. Preheat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter, and fry the cakes until golden brown on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side, making sure cake is cooked through.
5. Serve over a bed of baby greens and garnish with tartar sauce.