As the days get longer, the opportunities for outdoor eating increase. Here’s a recipe for some tasty treats that match beautifully with sparkling wine or a well-chilled white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc, Gruner Veltliner, Vinho Verde or Chenin Blanc. It makes about 3 dozen nibblers.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO & BRIE TOASTS
* 10-oz. wedge chilled Brie
* 7.5-oz. jar sun-dried tomatoes (in oil), drained
* 1 French bread baguette
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 2 large garlic cloves, minced
* 1/3 cup pine nuts
* 3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1. Cut all rind off Brie.
2. Place tomatoes in food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer to small bowl.
3. Cut baguette diagonally into 3/4-inch slices.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine oil and garlic in small bowl.
5. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Lightly brush bread with garlic/oil mixture. Bake about 5 minutes until bread is warmed through. Remove from oven.
6. Spread 1 tablespoon tomato puree evenly over top of each bread slice. Using sharp knife, cut Brie into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Top toasts with cheese. Bake 2 minutes.
7. Remove toasts from oven and sprinkle with pine nuts. Bake about 5 minutes longer until cheese melts.
8. Transfer toasts to platter. Sprinkle with basil.