We love fish tacos, particularly during the summertime. But instead of a cerveza, we suggest serving them with a well-chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc or a Rose-style wine. This recipe makes 4 servings.
* 5 tablespoons Wondra flour
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 lb. tilapia fillets, cut into 1- by 2-inch strips
* 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
* Canola oil cooking spray
* 8 soft corn tortillas, warmed
* Avocado-mango salsa (see next recipe)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the Wondra flour, cayenne, cumin and salt.
2. Place tilapia pieces in flour mixture, then toss to coat well. Shake fillets gently to remove excess flour.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish, placing each piece in a bit of the oil. Cook until the bottom side is crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes.
4. Turn and cook until crispy, another 2 to 4 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with warm corn tortillas and avocado-mango salsa.
* 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
* 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1 small Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice
* 1 small, ripe mango, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice
* 3 tablespoons lime juice
1. In a small dish, stir together chipotle, coriander and salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine avocado, mango and lime juice. Toss lightly. Add reserved spice blend and toss to coat.