This recipe, which serves 2 to 4 people, depending on your appetites, matches beautifully with Sauvignon Blanc or California Chardonnay.
GRILLED PRAWNS WITH GARLIC BUTTER
* 2 lbs. prawns
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
* 6 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 or 2 Thai chilies, diced and crushed
* 1 teaspoon Nuoc Mam (fish sauce)
* 1 teaspoon citrus zest
1. Heat grill for high-heat, direct grilling.
2. Rinse prawns and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and grapeseed oil.
3. Heat butter over low to medium-low heat. Add garlic, crushed chilies and fish sauce, and gently cook for about 1 minute.
4. Pour half of butter mix over prawns; return remaining butter mix to stove. Add citrus zest to garlic-butter and keep warm on lowest heat.
5. Gently toss prawns until sugar is dissolved and garlic-butter completely coats them.
6. Place prawns over grill’s direct heat. Grill for about 3-5 minutes, turning at least once.
7. When prawns are just cooked through, remove from grill and place in a large serving bowl. Pour remaining garlic-citrus-butter over grilled prawns, and serve.