Here’s a great way to enjoy salmon, and this recipe yields 4 servings.
Try it with either Pinot Noir or Zinfandel.
* 1 1/2 lbs. salmon, boned, skinned and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 1 tablespoon drained capers, chopped
* 2/3 cup Japanese panko bread crumbs
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 4 hamburger buns, toasted
* Tartar sauce
1. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse salmon cubes several times until coarsely ground. Remove ground salmon to a large bowl, and stir in capers, bread crumbs, lemon juice, pepper, salt and egg until the mixture is uniform and fully combined.
2. Divide mixture into 4 patties of equal size.
3. In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the patties (do not crowd) and saute, adjusting the heat as needed, until the burgers are golden on the outside and cooked throughout (2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side).
4. To prepare the burgers, brush the insides of each toasted bun with tartar sauce, and spoon a little coleslaw on the base of the bun. Place a burger on the slaw, then add the bun top and serve immediately.