Those of us who eat pizza quite often need to make sure we include veggies as toppings – so we may continue to eat pizza quite often. This recipe fills that bill, makes 8 servings, and can be enjoyed with almost any red wine – particularly Sangiovese, Zinfandel or Merlot.
ROASTED VEGETABLE PIZZA
* 1 medium bell pepper, cut lengthwise into eighths
* 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1/2 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1 package (8-oz.) whole fresh mushrooms, cut in half
* 2 tablespoons roasted garlic-flavored vegetable oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 package (10-oz.) ready-to-serve thin pizza crust
* 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
* 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray jelly roll pan (15 1/2-inches by 10 1/2-inches by 1 inch) with cooking spray.
2. Spread bell pepper, squash, eggplant and mushrooms in a single layer in pan. Brush with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, turning vegetables once, until veggies are tender.
3. Place pizza crust on non-greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with 1/2-cup of the cheese. Top with vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2-cup cheese.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil and serve.