Hopefully, now that the weekend has arrived, you have a little extra time to spend in the kitchen.
Try this delicious dish with Syrah, Shiraz or Zinfandel. This recipe makes 6 servings.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS IN PORT WINE SAUCE
* 6 small lamb shanks, about 7-lbs. total, trimmed of visible fat
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 -lb. brown mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
* 1/2 -lb. shiitake mushrooms, quartered
* 10 large cloves garlic, peeled and split
* 6 large shallots, peeled and split
* 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 cup Port
* 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
* 2 bay leaves
1. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a roasting pan just large enough to hold shanks in a single layer, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add shanks and sear on all sides (about 5-8 minutes total). Transfer to platter.
4. Add mushrooms, garlic and shallots to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (about 2 minutes).
5. Add stock, Port, rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to boil, scraping any bits sticking to pan.
6. Add shanks. Cover with tight-fitting lid or foil.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, then turn shanks. Continue baking until meat is tender and just starting to loosen from bone (about 45-75 minutes). Set pan on counter until meat is cool enough to handle.
8. De-fat cooking juices by pouring into fat separator and skimming top layer, or by pouring juices into bowl and freezing until fat solidifies.
9. Pour sauce over shanks and arrange mushrooms on and around meat.