Whether you’re a mushroom lover or an avocado aficionado – or both – you’ll love this burger, which matches beautifully with California-style, creamy Chardonnay.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
PORTABELLA BURGERS WITH AVOCADO SPREAD
* 4 medium-sized portabella mushrooms, stems removed
* 1 medium onion, cut in 1/2-inch slices
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
* 1 fully ripened avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
* 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 4 whole hamburger buns, toasted
* 4 jarred roasted red peppers
1. Brush mushrooms and onion slices with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
2. Heat large skillet or grill pan over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
3. Transfer mushrooms to plate, cavity side up, and cover to keep warm. In same skillet, cook onion slices until golden, about 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine half of the avocado, yogurt, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
5. Spoon onions and roasted peppers into mushroom cavities, divided equally. Spread smooth avocado mixture on bottom of each bun. Top each with stuffed mushrooms.
6. Top with remaining avocado. Cover with tops of buns and serve.