Semillon, “unoaked” Chardonnay and Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio make ideal companions for this dish. This recipe yields 4 servings.
LEMON BARBECUED CHICKEN
- 1 whole chicken (appx. 3.5-lbs.)
- 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium-sized brown potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1-lb. pumpkin, cut into portions with skin on
1. Wash chicken inside and out, drain, and pat dry with paper towels. Wash lemons, then peel off zest with a potato peeler. Dice zest finely. Juice the lemons. Mix together half the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and oil.
2. Spoon half the lemon mixture over the chicken and in the cavity. Place remaining zest in the cavity.
3. Preheat barbecue with roasting hood down. Place chicken on roasting rack in a baking tray. Place potatoes and pumpkin around chicken, and sprinkle with remaining lemon mixture, being sure to coat all pieces. Place pan over indirect heat and close roasting hood.
4. Cook for 60-90 minutes, brushing chicken with lemon and herb mixture every 20 minutes. Turn vegetables. Check chicken for doneness using a meat thermometer.
5. Remove vegetables when cooked, and cover to keep hot. Rest chicken for 5 minutes before carving and serving.