Housed in an 1880s building that retains its original tin ceiling, exposed brick walls and hardwood floors, West Town Tavern serves contemporary comfort food in a friendly, warm, intimate atmosphere.
The Chicago restaurant is owned by Susan and Drew Goss, who have been fixtures on the Windy City culinary scene since 1993 when they opened Zinfandel restaurant in the River North neighborhood. With a name like Zinfandel, you know that wine played a big role in the restaurant’s concept, and the same is true at West Town Tavern, which the Gosses opened in 2002.
In fact, virtually every item on the inspired menu includes a wine pairing suggestion. Special dishes complement the regular menu and they, too, are accompanied by wine suggestions.
We love to share the thoughts of successful, wine-focused restaurateurs, and here are a few pairings that West Town Tavern patrons have enjoyed in recent months…
- Pork Tenderloin with Corn Tamal, Chipotle Barbecue and Peach-Black Bean Relish.
Wine suggestion: 2009 Alta Vins Domus Pensi White—an unusual blend of Garnacha and Chardonnay.
- Potato-Crusted Tilapia with Jasmine Rice Pilaf, Seasonal Vegetables and Herbed Mustard Cream.
Wine suggestion: 2010 Mohua Sauvignon Blanc.
- Zinfandel-Braised Short Rib with Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Pennsylvania Dutch Black Vinegar Sauce.
Wine suggestion: 2009 Villa San-Juliette Petite Sirah.
- Pan-Seared Diver Sea Scallops with Mushroom-Leek Risotto, Tarragon and Chives.
Wine suggestion: 2009 Larochette-Manciat White Burgundy (100 percent Chardonnay).
- Potato Gnocchi with Seasonal Vegetables, Fontina and Basil.
Wine suggestion: 2010 Le Cirque Rose (a blend of Grenache Noir, Syrah and Grenache Gris).
- Pappardelle Pasta with Turkey Meatballs, Roasted Tomatoes, Tarragon and Wild Mushrooms.
Wine suggestion: 2009 Casa Castilla Monastrell (a.k.a. Mourvedre).
- Pan-Roasted Lake Huron Whitefish Fillet with Orzo, Olives, Roasted Beets, Oranges and Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette.
Wine suggestion: 2009 Valley Vineyards “The Royal” Chenin Blanc.
- Crispy Slow-Cooked Moulard Duck Leg with Market Greens, New Potatoes, Michigan Cherries, Walnuts and Sherry-Mustard Vinaigrette.
Wine suggestion: 2008 Friedrich Becker Pinot Noir.
- Ownesboro-Style Smoked Lamb Shoulder BBQ with Double Corn Cake and Traditional Black Sauce.
Wine suggestion: 2009 Terrazas Malbec.
- Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with White Truffle Tavern Fries and Zinfandel Reduction.
Wine suggestion: 2005 SO Cabernet Sauvignon (we’re not familiar with this wine, but the West Town wine list indicates it comes from California’s Mendocino County).
West Town Tavern is located near downtown Chicago at 1329 West Chicago Ave. Reservations are strongly recommended.
Have you been to West Town Tavern? We’d love to hear about your experience. Please share it the comments box below.