Broccoli is one of those vegetables that’s notoriously difficult to pair with wine.
But when you add garlic to the mix — and it becomes the dominant flavor — then the pairing possibilities multiply.
Serve this side dish with a thick, juicy steak — perhaps topped with a dollop of garlic butter — and you have a delicious meal… not to mention a nice match for Syrah or Cabernet Sauvignon.
This recipe yields 5 servings.
BROCCOLI WITH GARLIC
1. Place broccoli in a sealable plastic bag. Seal and poke holes in the bag to allow steam to escape. Microwave for 4-5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Chop garlic finely. Add nuts to oil, stirring to toast lightly (about 1-2 minutes).
3. Turn heat down slightly, add garlic, and heat another minute.
4. Add broccoli to pan. Coat with olive oil mixture and cook another 2-3 minutes, until softened.
5. Season with kosher salt to taste.
– – – – –
Tomorrow: We’ll share an easy-to-prepare recipe for garlic butter.