Unless you’re in certain parts of the Southwest or Southeast, chances are there’s a chill in the air. And that can mean only one thing: It’s time for soup!
(Okay, it could mean other things as well, but around here, we listen to our stomachs.)
This delicious soup pairs perfectly with Syrah, and the recipe comes from our friends at Chateau Julien (http://www.chateaujulien.com), one of the top wineries in California’s Central Coast growing region.
The recipe yields 8 servings.
LENTIL & SAUSAGE SOUP
1. Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown.
2. Add onion, celery and chopped garlic, and sauté until tender and translucent.
3. Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes.
4. Season with garlic powder, parsley, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
5. Cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until lentils are tender.
6. Stir in pasta, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
– – – – –
Once you’ve tried this recipe, let us know what you think about it in the Comments box below.