Having a big group over tomorrow for St. Patrick’s Day?
This recipe yields about 12 servings, and because there’s no cabbage, it pairs with a wide array of red wines, particularly Syrah and Syrah- or Grenache-based blends.
GLAZED CORNED BEEF
- 1 corned beef brisket (3-lbs.), trimmed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Place corned beef and contents of seasoning packet (typically provided with the corned beef) in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Add onion and celery. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for two-and-a-half hours, or until meat is tender. Drain and discard liquid and vegetables. Place beef on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Brush over beef. Then bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.