Ah, Wednesday. The middle of the work week. As noted in the nursery rhyme, “Monday’s Child”…
Monday’s child is fair of face
Tuesday’s child is full of grace
Wednesday’s child is full of woe
We’re far removed from the weekly shock to the brain known as Monday, yet we’re still seemingly a lifetime away from the weekend. We’re not likely to go out to eat, yet we’re not exactly thrilled by the idea of cooking a gourmet meal at home.
What to do? Comfort food! Even better: comfort food that we can enjoy while unwinding with a nice glass of Chardonnay.
A well-oaked Chardonnay is a delight to drink, but can be a nightmare when it comes to pairing with food. The smoky characteristic provided by the oak barrels provides the primary pairing challenge.
But there is an answer: an “adult” take on the classic grilled cheese sandwich. The preparation—cooking on an actual grill—is just as important as the ingredients.
And don’t be embarrassed to serve it; at a restaurant, this easy-to-make sandwich would fall under the fancy-sounding “Panini” heading.
With that in mind, we bring you this recipe from your intrepid blogger’s test kitchen, where every dish is a test of some kind. This recipe yields one sandwich.
CHARDONNAY-FRIENDLY GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
- 2 slices dense multi-grain bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- One-half avocado, cut into thin slices
- Preheat grill.
- Butter bread on both sides.
- Place one slice of cheese on one of the bread slices.
- Add avocado pieces.
- Place the other slice of cheese on top of the avocado pieces.
- Top with the other bread slice.
- Place sandwich on grill, and cook to desired “crispness.” Turn the sandwich over, and do the same with the other side. The cheese should melt nicely during the grilling process.
- When done, remove sandwich from grill, and slice in half for easy handling.