We tend to eat “lighter” in the summertime, and that habit even extends to dessert (except for us chocoholics, for whom every season is chocolate season).
Here’s a dessert that’s perfect for summer, when fresh fruit is abundant. A lighter-styled, slightly sweet white wine makes the perfect pairing partner.
This recipe yields 10 servings.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups fresh peach slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- Melt butter in a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (do not stir).
- Bring remaining 1 cup sugar, peach slices and lemon juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Pour over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow cobbler to cool to room temperature, and then serve.