Yesterday, we took a look at what makes Sonoma County’s Fritz Underground Winery so unusual…and its wines so tasty.
The good news is that the public is welcome at Fritz by appointment, and several tasting options are offered…
- A Taste of Fritz If you’ve never been to Fritz, or if it has been a while since your last visit, this is the way to go. The “Fritz Flight” features a taste of all the different varietals made and showcases the variety of flavors that Sonoma County vineyards have to offer. It includes wines made from fruit grown on the estate, as well as wines made from grapes grown in some of the best vineyards of the Russian River Valley. Cost: $10.
- Reserve Wine Tasting This flight includes Fritz’s Reserve Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon, and concludes with the Estate Late Harvest Zinfandel. These wines are available only at the winery and made in extremely small quantities. Cost: $15.
- Artisan Chocolate Truffle and Wine Pairing When the weather is gorgeous, and the views from the patio can’t be beat, Fritz likes to offer guests a truly special experience. The winery pairs delectable, handmade, artisan chocolate truffles from Salt Side Down Chocolates with Reserve red wines to elevate the tasting experience from delicious to divine. “This really is the ultimate tasting experience, and your very own slice of heaven here in our little corner of the Dry Creek Valley,” Clayton Fritz says. This pairing is available from late spring to autumn, when the weather is the best. Cost: $35.
- Explore the Hidden Depths of Fritz Built into a picturesque hillside, the tasting room at Fritz offers sensational views at every turn, along with delicious wines. But to fully understand what makes Fritz unique, one must venture underground and take the Underground Tour. “We’ll show you how we utilize our unique design to produce wines by employing a full gravity-flow process of winemaking,” Fritz says. “This is your opportunity to not only explore Fritz from top to bottom, but to taste some of our wine straight from the barrel.” These tours are offered on weekends only. Cost: $20.
- Create Your Own Unique Fritz Pinot Noir Have you ever wondered what it’s like to make wine? At Fritz, Brad Longton has been scoring high and winning gold medals with all of his Pinot Noir bottlings, and will provide you with the tools to become a winemaker for a day. During this experience, guests blend, bottle and cork a Pinot Noir that they get to take home when finished. “You’ll learn about the various components involved in the bottling process and what it takes to create a balanced wine,” Longton explains. Cost: $175.
A number of wineries now embrace “gravity-flow” winemaking and other wine-friendly techniques in the cellar, but Fritz was among the first to do so. If you’re looking for a winery tour like no other, the Fritz Underground Winery is the place to go.
Fritz Underground Winery
24691 Dutcher Creek Rd., Cloverdale, CA 95425
Tasting by Reservation