The weekend is upon us—if it didn’t start early for you thanks to the 4th of July—and that means it’s time to cook!
You’ll need three bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon for this dish—one for the ingredients, and two to drink with friends, as this recipe yields 6 servings.
RED WINE-BRAISED SHORT RIBS
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown short ribs on all sides (about 8 minutes per batch). Transfer ribs to a plate. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of drippings from pot.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add flour and tomato paste, and cook, stirring constantly, until well combined and deep red (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in wine, then add short ribs with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer until wine is reduced by half (about 25 minutes).
- Add all herbs to pot, along with garlic. Stir in stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven.
- Cook until short ribs are tender (2 to 2 1/2 hours).
- Transfer short ribs to a platter.
- Strain sauce from pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in shallow bowls over mashed potatoes with sauce spooned over.