Baby, it’s cold outside. So let’s stay inside tonight, and transform humble chicken breasts into a culinary treat.
This recipe yields 2 servings, and the dish pairs well with an array of wines. For specific ideas, see yesterday’s blog.
BROILED CHICKEN WITH APPLES AND GINGER
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Honeycrisp or Fuji apple, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat broiler or grill pan.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens (about 5 minutes).
- Add the apple, balsamic vinegar, honey and ginger root. Cook, stirring frequently, until apple slices soften and onions caramelize (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper in a broiler-safe pan. Broil chicken, turning halfway through cooking, until cooked through (about 12 minutes).
- Cut chicken lengthwise into slices, and transfer to plates.
- Top with apple-onion mixture, and serve.